Get access to a FREE week of menus
Love warm cinnamon raisin bread but have a gluten allergy? Look no further because this recipe is gluten, nut, dairy and egg free!
With fall approaching I want nothing else but to fill my house with scent of baked cinnamon as much as possible. Mmm, fall tastes delicious – doesn’t it?!
One of my daughter’s favorite things is Cinnamon Raisin Bread. Over the past few months, I’ve spent a small fortune buying specialty allergy-friendly breads that were this particular variety.
While she loved the treat and the taste of what was once familiar to her prior to her gluten free diet; my wallet did not like it at all. I’ve been experimenting for a while and finally I modified a recipe to our liking.
This recipe is gluten, nut, dairy, and egg free. Try it in the lunchbox with your favorite PB alternative spread or our very own MOMables Sunflower Nutella! My daughter’s favorite? With sunflower seed spread, honey, and banana slices.
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1 cup of coconut milk + 2 additional Tbsp
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 4¼ cups gluten free all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 tsp of xantham gum (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- ¼ cup silken tofu
- 1 flax egg
- 1 Tbsp of vegan spread, melted & cooled (or butter)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Soak raisins in a small bowl by covering with hot water. Let stand 10 minutes then drain well.
- Heat 1 cup of coconut milk over low heat on stove in a small saucepan to between 100° and 110°. Remove from heat.
- Combine warmed milk, brown sugar, and yeast in a large bowl, stirring until well dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine 4 cups flour, salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon (and optional xantham gum).
- To whip tofu: whip in your blender or food processor. Pour it straight from the package because it comes out slightly wet.
- Once whipped, add tofu, flax egg, and 1 tablespoon vegan spread to milk mixture. Stir well with whisk until combined.
- Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead raisins into dough. Add flour, 1 Tbsp at a time to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Roll dough into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Lightly coat surface of dough with cooking spray.
- Combine ¼ cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle sugar mixture evenly over dough then press sugar mixture into dough so it will adhere.
- Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly. Pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Place roll, seam side down, into lightly greased loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover loaf and gently brush dough with remaining 2 Tbsp of coconut milk.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Also remember that gluten-free breads only need one rise, as per recipe below.
Recipe inspired by Cooking Light