Are food allergies keeping you from making delicious treats your family will enjoy?
If you have gluten, egg, nut, or dairy allergies in your house, look no further. This recipe is for you!
My daughter and I love cinnamon rolls. Before starting our gluten-free diet, I would occasionally surprise her by baking up a batch from the store-bought tube that we all know so well. The fresh baked scent is unmistakable. I practically knew when they were ready before the oven timer beeped—this meant that the house smelled heavenly.
Since starting her gluten-free diet, I’ve experimented with nearly a dozen gluten-free recipes. Some are chewy, some are bland, some have way too much butter, and most lacked something. It’s been a frustrating process, but we’ve finally nailed it!
This is the perfect allergy-friendly cinnamon roll recipe. It’s gluten-, nut-, and egg-free. In the recipe, you’ll also find out how to make it dairy-free.
The dough in this recipe can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. This is handy because I have a small family. We never need a full batch, so I can slice what we need and bake them for breakfast that morning. The final tip: Bake them inside a muffin tin, in lieu of a larger round cake pan or baking dish. Serve warm and enjoy!
Allergy-Friendly Cinnamon Rolls
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- 1 1/4 cups plain Greek yogurt (For dairy-free, you can use a souring alternative: 1 1/4 cups milk substitute of choice + 3 teaspoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Mix and let stand for 10 minutes, then add to recipe.)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (For dairy-free, use a substitute like Earth Balance Vegan.)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (King Arthur GF Flour is made in a Top-8 allergen-free facility.)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (For dairy-free, use a substitute like Earth Balance Vegan.)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (For dairy-free, use a substitute like Earth Balance Vegan.)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-5 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat the oven to 425F, and coat either a muffin tin or a 9-inch-round baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, begin making the dough by mixing the yogurt and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter.
- Stir in the flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda until absorbed. The dough will look soft and crumbly.
- Move the dough onto a floured work surface, and begin to knead and mix with your hands until smooth.
- Form the dough into about a 12×9-inch rectangle, then brush it with the remaining 2 tablespoons of the melted butter.
- In another bowl, make the filling mixture by combining the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter.
- Once it resembles a wet sand, spread it evenly onto the dough leaving a 1/2-inch border. Push the filling firmly into the dough.
- Starting on the long side, begin to slowly roll the dough into a tight log. If your fingers are sticking to the dough, lightly flour or moisten them with water.
- Pinch the seam to seal the log, and slice evenly into 10 rolls.
- Place the slices into your pan, and bake until the edges begin to turn golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and move the slices from the pan onto a cooling rack.
- As they slightly cool, make the glaze by mixing the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the rolls and enjoy!