Finally, delicious gluten-free, allergy-friendly fish sticks that kids will love!
Chicken nuggets and fish sticks are two iconic kid food items sold at every grocery store, listed in most kid’s menus, and found in nearly every home.
Finger foods are loved by kids because they can be dipped and eaten with their hands. Parents love them because they are easy to fix for dinner and for the lunch box!
Since my daughter began eating gluten-free, I’ve been on a mission to remake all her favorite foods healthier and allergy-friendly.
Most store-bought frozen fish sticks are a mixture of processed seafood. Full of carbs, fillers, unidentifiable ingredients, and sodium, they aren’t the healthiest or nutritious.
In my homemade version, I know exactly the ingredients my child is eating.
This recipe is free from gluten, nuts, dairy, and eggs. We made ours using vegan Parmesan topping and coconut milk, but you may substitute per your preferences and needs. I’ve also up’d the nutrition and omega-3s by adding ground flax to the breading.
MOM Tip: Make your own gluten-free bread crumbs by repurposing bread crusts and scraps from lunches. It’s not only waste-free, but will save you from spending the extra money to buy specialty items. Simply store the scraps and crusts in a freezer bag, and process them as needed for bread crumbs.
- ½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan topping
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound cod fillets, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Pour the flour onto a plate, and set aside. Pour the coconut milk into a shallow dish, and set aside. In another dish, mix together the flax, bread crumbs, Parmesan, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Dip the fish into the flour, making sure that both sides are thinly and evenly coated. Then dip the fish into the milk, and wet both sides. Finally, move the fish onto the crumb mixture. Using your hands, coat both sides with the crumb mixture, pressing lightly to adhere.
- At this point, you can either freeze or bake the fish.
- If you're baking, preheat the oven to 400F. Arrange the fish sticks on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown, flipping once halfway through.