Do you need an allergy-friendly dessert that the entire family can enjoy?
My daughter and I enjoy baking together. I love her smile and cheer when she takes that first bite. This recipe is a winner, and she has already asked me to make it again.
One thing I love about these bars is that the longer they sat and cooled, the better they tasted–even days later! The banana helps keep them moist. In other words, make them ahead of time, and enjoy all week!
Here at MOMables™, we try not to endorse certain brands of food, and when we do, we feel it’s important to disclose this to you.
However, we realize when it comes to food allergies, it can be difficult to find products that are safe for all our needs. For this recipe, we used King Arthur Flour Gluten Free yellow cake mix. It is made in a Top-8 allergy-free facility. The same goes for the chocolate chips and sunflower seed spread: EnjoyLife brand is free of the Top-8 allergens, and SunButter is the preferred Peanut Butter alternative for my family. It’s gluten-, nut-, dairy-, and egg-free as well as being vegan and kosher.
Allergy-Friendly Monkey Bars
SunButter Banana Chocolate Bars – Egg-, Gluten-, & Nut-Free
- Yield: 16
- Cuisine: Baking
- 1 box yellow GF cake mix (or regular if you can tolerate)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup creamy Sunflower Seed Spread (or other PB alternative spread)
- 1 medium-large ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and coat an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry cake mix, melted butter, sunflower seed spread, and banana. Mix.
- Spread evenly into your baking dish, reserving 1 cup of the mix for the topping.
- On your stovetop, in a medium saucepan, melt the chocolate chips (reserving a few chips for the topping), condensed milk, and butter. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the chocolate mix over your cake mix already in the bottom of your baking dish.
- Taking tablespoons of the remaining cake mix, evenly drop spoonfuls over the chocolate mix, creating a nice topping.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle the reserved chocolate chips evenly on the top. Cool completely before cutting.