Microwave Mac and Cheese Cups (GF version included)
Kids love Macaroni & Cheese. It’s just that simple.
My daughter loves Mac and Cheese as much as the next kid. However, because I don’t eat dairy, I often find it a waste to make her an entire box of her favorite kind instead of a single serving just to fit her needs.
Not only that, let’s face it: The box variety is just not healthy. Most have added food dyes and chemicals I can barely pronounce when I check out the ingredient label!
Thankfully, we can now make our own Microwave Mac & Cheese Cups at home! With MOMables, there are just so many ways to make your kid’s favorite meals and snacks without all of the artificial ingredients! Come check us out!
They’re so simple, whether you use regular or gluten-free noodles (I’ve included direction notes for both). These are simple and quick to make, plus they’re the perfect single serving for a snack, side, or lunch.
MOM Tip: The key is to stir throughout, as instructed. This will keep the noodles cooking evenly and help keep them from overboiling.
Also remember that all microwaves are not created equal, so cooking times may have to be slightly adjusted depending on how hot yours does or does not get. Just keep an eye on the bowl, especially your first time making them, and note the differences.
- ⅓ cup pasta, uncooked
- ½ cup + ⅛ cup water
- ¼ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Add pasta and water into a large soup bowl or mug.
- For regular noodles: Microwave for 6 minutes. Stop, and stir at the 2½ minute mark, then stir every 45 seconds to 1 minute thereafter.
- For gluten-free noodles: Microwave for 5 minutes. Stop, and stir at the 2½ minute mark, then stir every 45 seconds to 1 minute thereafter.
- After the microwaving is complete, add in the cheese. Stir.
- Microwave again for 25 seconds.
- Add the milk, stir, and serve.