Love lasagna, but tired of the same ol’ thing? Try Lasagna Cupcakes!
Can I tell you a secret? I don’t like lasagna. Shocking, huh?! Isn’t lasagna the one comfort food that everyone seems to like? When you cut it up, it just looks so unappealing to me. But with a husband and daughter who love lasagna, I had to find a way that I could make it and enjoy it too! We love our taco cupcakes, so we continued our “cupcake” love affair for dinner with this recipe.
Use this recipe as a guide. You can easily make adjustments to your own favorite lasagna recipe to turn them into Lasagna Cupcakes.
I sometimes make extra, adding more sauce and vegetables so I can use the meat mixture for an easy lunch or dinner the next day. Bonus: These are just as delicious at room temperature, and they are perfect portions to pack in a school lunch!
Yields about 24 cupcakes
- Cuisine: Lunch
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- 4 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1½-2 cups shredded cheese (mix of Italian and mozzarella)
- Preheat the oven to 375F, and spray or oil a 12-cup cupcake pan.
- In a large pan, cook the beef. Once the beef is cooked, add the mushrooms and zucchini, and cook until they have softened. Add the pasta sauce, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, in a large bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, basil, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Gently place one wonton wrapper into each cupcake cup. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the ricotta mixture into each wonton wrapper, then spoon 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture on top of the ricotta cheese mixture, and sprinkle shredded cheese over each cup.
- Create a second layer of “pasta” by placing a second wonton wrapper over the shredded cheese. Repeat topping with the ricotta mixture, meat mixture, and shredded cheese.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy on the edges. Remove them from the oven, and allow them to cool slightly before removing them from the pan. Serve immediately.