I wanted to share with you how I make mac and cheese at our house. At first, I used The Sneaky Chef’s technique to add pureed carrots to boxed mac and cheese, but as I grew more comfortable with substituting and my son ONLY wanted to eat mac and cheese 3 days of the week… I had to get creative. He is very slim and every calorie counts! I love ricotta cheese because it packs on the calcium and protein he needs to grow (he’s not a big milk drinker either). After much experimenting, I began creating larger batches to freeze ahead. I love knowing I can just go to the freezer and pull out a serving to make an entire dinner!
I am going to share how to make a quick 1 dinner serving or a freeze ahead of 12!
- 5lb bag organic carrots, peeled and washed
- 32oz (2lb) container part skim ricotta cheese
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup steamed carrots
- ⅓ cup ricotta cheese
- 1-2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2TB milk
- Peel and wash carrots. Cut in a few pieces. Steam until tender (12-15min for that size load) or break up into batches.
- In a blender/food processor add half of all the ingredients above and blend/puree well.
- Repeat process for remaining carrots.
- In a large pot, heat carrots, ricotta cheese, shredded cheddar, and milk until everything is melted and dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
- After cooling, pour 1 cup of pureed carrots into individual zip bags or freezer containers.
- Cook 1 lb box macaroni (or pasta of choice), drain.
- In pot add pasta, 1 cup carrot cheese sauce and 2 tablespoons of milk. Warm, stir and serve!