Get access to a FREE week of school lunch menus
I wanted to share with you how I make mac and cheese at our house. At first, I used The Sneaky Chef’s technique to add pureed carrots to boxed mac and cheese, but as I grew more comfortable with substituting and my son ONLY wanted to eat mac and cheese 3 days of the week… I had to get creative. He is very slim and every calorie counts! I love ricotta cheese because it packs on the calcium and protein he needs to grow (he’s not a big milk drinker either). After much experimenting, I began creating larger batches to freeze ahead. I love knowing I can just go to the freezer and pull out a serving to make an entire dinner!
I am going to share how to make a quick 1 dinner serving or a freeze ahead of 12!
- 5lb bag organic carrots, peeled and washed
- 32oz (2lb) container part skim ricotta cheese
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup milk
- In a pinch, I’ll make the sauce in a couple of minutes. For a single serving:
- 1 cup steamed carrots
- ⅓ cup ricotta cheese
- 1-2 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 2TB milk
- Repeat directions.
- Peel and wash carrots. Cut in a few pieces. Steam
- Steam carrots until soft (12-15min for that size load)
- In a blender/food processor add half of all the ingredients above and blend/puree well.
- Repeat process for second batch.
- After cooling, pour 1 cup of pureed mac and cheese into individual zip bags or freezer containers.
- To make mac and cheese dinner:
- Cook 1 lb box macaroni (or pasta of choice), drain.
- In pot add pasta, 1 cup cheese sauce and 2 TB milk.
- Warm, stir and serve!