It’s probably safe to say that broccoli isn’t a kid favorite food…but tater tots are! This simple recipe is sure to become a regular in your meal rotation.
When it comes to getting kids to eat outside their comfort zone, putting the food in a fun, familiar form can be the ticket to success. These Broccoli Tater Tots are just that. Russet potatoes, parmesan cheese and a small amount of Italian seasoning create familiar flavors in a bite size tot. Much less intimidating than an entire broccoli floret!
As always, these are not only a great meal for your family, but equally as good in the lunch box. You can make the mixture ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze individual tots prior to baking for up to a month. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For more ideas, like this one, on adding variety to what your family eats, check out our meal plans.
Just like the recipes in our meal plans, these broccoli tater tots are very simple to make. Kid friendly food doesn’t have to be complicated or made with processed ingredients! Check out how easy they are to make in this quick video:
- 2 cups cubed russet potatoes
- 1 ½ cups finely grated raw broccoli
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425F, place oven rack in the middle of the oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Peel, cube into small dice sized pieces and measure 2 cups of russet potatoes (about 2-3 potatoes).
- Steam or microwave the potatoes to the point where a fork is easily inserted but it’s too tough to eat (about 10 minutes boiled, 6-7 in the microwave).
- Once they are cooked drain them and set aside to cool down.
- In the bowl of your food processor, pulse about 2 cups of chopped broccoli florets (depending on how you cut it, it should yield about 1 ½ cups chopped) until it resembles coarse rice.
- Measure 1 ½ cups of finely chopped broccoli and transfer into a large bowl.
- Next, pulse semi-cooked potatoes and 1 ½ cups of the Parmesan cheese; pulse just enough to break up the potatoes and combine them with the Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer mixture into the bowl with the broccoli.
- Add seasoning into the large bowl and fold all ingredients with a large spatula to combine.
- Place remaining Parmesan cheese into a small bowl.
- Begin to form tater tots into small balls with a 1 tablespoon size cookie scoop or your hands and a spoon.
- Once formed, roll each tot on more Parmesan cheese – just enough to coat it.
- Place each tater tot on the baking sheet, about ½ inch to 1 inch apart.
- Bake 12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.