Orange you glad that this is the perfect dessert for kids (and you)?
Okay, so I know you spend tons of time fretting over healthy lunches, dinners, and breakfasts for your kids, and of course you do an excellent job, but it’s okay to treat yourself and your kids to a little something sweet every once in a while! Here at MOMables, we are all about having fun with healthy and delicious foods; gotta’ keep it entertaining, right?
Why should the terms “treat” or “dessert” only apply to sugar-filled stuff? I love turning something healthy into a treat instead! Subscribe to the MOMables e-newsletter to have healthy ideas like these delivered right to your inbox!
These chocolate-covered orange segments are the perfect treat—yummy and EASY!
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips or chunks (or a 3-4 ounce chocolate bar, broken into rough chunks)
- 1-2 teaspoons shortening or coconut oil, if needed
- 3 mandarin or satsuma oranges, peeled and separated
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt your chocolate. You can use a double boiler, a fondue pot, or the microwave. To microwave, heat in a small microwave-safe dish for 1 minute, then in 30-second intervals, stirring in between. If the chocolate seems too thick, add 1 teaspoon shortening or coconut oil. Add more if necessary.
- Dip each orange segment into the chocolate, rolling to coat both sides if your chocolate is too shallow. Coat one-half to three-fourths of the way up each slice. Let some excess chocolate drip off, then place on the prepared baking sheet, separating them at least 1-inch apart so that their chocolate puddles won't touch.
- If the chocolate cools before you're finished, you can re-melt it as above.
- Place the tray in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes, then serve or store refrigerated in an airtight container.
- They will start to dry out, but can last a few days in the fridge and still be tasty!
For some other healthy foods-turned-to-treats, check out these MOMables recipes:
- Chocolate-Beet Cupcakes
- Cookie Dough Yogurt Parfait
- Grape-Granola-Yogurt Parfait
- Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
- Banana Split Bites
- Chocolate-Covered Banana Bites
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfait
- Homemade Orange Soda
- Apple Sandwiches
- Trail Mix Frozen Yogurt Popsicles
- Banana Split Oatmeal
- Oatmeal Banana Muffins
- Monkey Ice Cream Sandwiches
- and SO MANY MORE!