Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1/2 pound. Italian sausage, optional.
- 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce can) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 9 oz. cheese-filled tortellini
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, brown sausage over medium heat.
- Add chopped red pepper, sauté till tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Drain any additional grease from sausage.
- Add crushed tomatoes, basil pesto, broth, half and half, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in tortellini and parmesan cheese.
- Continue to simmer until cheese is melted and tortellini is cooked.
- Season to preference with salt and pepper.
- Serve in individual bowls and top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Store any leftovers in refrigerator.