Crock-Pot Tomato Sauce
- 2 28oz cans whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 carrot, grated (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Toss all of the ingredients into the crock-pot (the tomatoes can go in whole).
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Once the tomatoes have broken down, uncover. Continue cooking for another hour or two, until sauce has thicken.
- Run the tomato sauce through a food mill, carefully blend in a blender, or use an immersion blender to create a smooth sauce.
- Refrigerate unused sauce and use within 4 days.