In many parts of the country, spring time is full of rain and fluctuating weather. One day it’s 70 degrees, the next it can be in the 40′s.
On those cool, rainy days there’s nothing we love more at our house than a bowl of soup. Especially when I can cook it in my beloved crock pot!
Slow cooker meals are my favorite – there’s something so great about being able to throw the ingredients in, walk away for a few hours and BAM! Dinner is served
What else is convenient about soup? It packages great for lunch in a thermos! The MOMables™ lunch plans has many- although they are mostly in the winter months.
- (1) 32oz bag of southern style potatoes (diced potatoes) - thawed
- ½ an onion, diced
- ¼ cup celery, diced (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of milk
- (1) 32oz carton of low sodium chicken stock
- 3 tbps of Flour
- (1) 8oz bag of cheddar shredded cheese
- Real bacon bits (for garnish)
- Chives, dill or Green Onion (for garnish)
- Spray your crockpot with cooking spray.
- Pour in the potatoes, chicken stock, water, celery and diced onion.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- One hour prior to serving: In a small bowl, mix together the flour and milk. Whisk until blended and then add to the pot and stir.
- Change crockpot temperature to high and let it thicken for 20-30 minutes. It will look cloudy.
- After the 20-30 minute period, soup should be getting thicker.
- Return temperature to a low setting. Add the bag of cheddar shredded cheese and stir into the pot.
- Let cook an additional 20 minutes. Cheese will melt & soup will continue to thicken.
- Serve hot and garnish with real bacon bits.