Do you ever want a homemade pancake mix that isn’t full of all of those unknown ingredients you get in the boxed versions?
There is something so wonderful about pancakes for breakfast! Our entire family loves breakfast foods. Breakfast for dinner is quite common, and if it were up to me, I could eat breakfast three times a day! One of our favorite breakfast meals is pancakes.
Sometimes I make them from scratch, but other times, especially in the morning, I reach for that boxed pancake mix. Everything is already mixed, and it just comes together so much faster. Plus, I’m not a morning person, so I’m going with what is easier. Here at MOMables, we’ve done the work for you so that you can go with easier too—the homemade version.
When you stop to think about it, what is really in that box? The basic ingredients for pancakes are all the same. So why not make your own boxed pancake mix? I finally did it, and let me tell you, I am never going back to the box! Not only are these mixes easy to put together, it ends up saving you money. You can even have your kids help out to make the mixes too so you can stock up your pantry!
Leftover pancakes (if there are any) could easily be put into a lunch for the next day.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt (depending on preference)
- 1¼ cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
- In a zip bag or air-tight container, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- (1¼) cups milk
- (1) egg
- (3) tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
- Pour all the dry ingredients into a medium-size bowl. Add the milk, egg and butter, if using. Mix well to combine. Pour ¼ cup of pancake batter onto the pan or griddle over medium heat. Wait until bubbles form to flip.
- Serve with fruit, syrup, or whatever else you prefer.
If you're adding melted butter to your mixes, make sure to use unsalted butter (or lower the amount of salt you use per mix.)
You can substitute half the amount of all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour if desired.