- Author: MOMables
- Yield: Makes 4 twists
- Cuisine: Lunch
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, such as Parmesan, Romano, and Asiago
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- First, thaw the pastry. Let the frozen puff pastry thaw at room temperature until softened, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl or cup. Add 1 tablespoon water, and whisk until blended.
- In another small bowl, mix together the cheeses.
- Unfold the thawed puff pastry sheet and place on a lightly floured work surface.
- Using a pastry brush, brush some of the egg mixture evenly over the dough.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture evenly over half of the egg-brushed dough.
- Fold the uncovered dough over the cheese and press gently to seal.
- Brush the top with the egg mixture, sprinkle with half of the remaining cheese mixture, and press gently to help stick.
- Turn the dough over, brush the other side with the egg mixture, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and press gently.
- Discard any remaining egg mixture.
- Cut the pasty lengthwise into 4 equal strips.
- Holding each strip by the ends, turn the ends a few times in opposite direction to make a twist. Place the twists, evenly spaced, on the baking sheet.
- Bake until browned, about 10 minutes. Let cool briefly. Serve warm or at room temperature.