Looking for an alternative to hamburgers? Our black bean burgers are a family favorite!
Made small and sandwiched in slider buns, they are the perfect addition to any lunch box!
There’s nothing I love more than grilling on warm sunshiny summer days! I’m not always in the mood for a heavy, greasy burger. That’s why I love mixing it up with a delicious Grilled Black Bean Burger instead.
Black beans are a great source of fiber and provide support for your digestive health. I love coming up with excellent ways to incorporate them into our meals. MOMables is a great resource, using them in recipes such as Black Bean Corn Cakes or wrapped in a Burrito with sweet potatoes.
MOMables menus provide tons of recipes similar to these burgers, which are healthy and satisfying for your growing kids!
The burgers themselves are simple to make and smell as good as they taste. Naturally allergy-friendly, they can also be made gluten-free and vegan too, depending on what type of bread crumb or oats you use in the recipe.
We served ours on our favorite allergy-friendly hamburger buns and topped with optional Chipotle Cheddar cheese. To keep this dairy-free and vegan, sub your favorite nondairy cheese substitute or omit completely.
I also found that leftover burgers are great packed in lunch the next day!
Grilled Black Bean Burgers
- Yield: 4 burgers
- Cuisine: Dinner
- 2 cups cooked black beans (about 2 15-ounce cans), drained & rinsed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- Pinch of turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 cup green peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or oats (gluten-free also an option)
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg (see the note)
- In a large mixing bowl, mash 1 1/2 cups of the black beans. Add remaining 1/2 cup of beans.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, cilantro, and turmeric (if using).
- Pour the spices over the bean mixture.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, and mix well with your hands.
- Form into four or five large patties.
- Grill on a greased sheet of aluminum foil on the grill just as you would a traditional burger. (Use the foil to prevent pieces from falling down between the grates until it cooks thoroughly.) Or you can cook these burgers in a pan.
- Once browned and starting to crisp on the bottom side, flip and do the same on the other.
- Serve on your favorite bun with toppings or over rice.
Flax egg: 1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons warm water. Mix and set aside for at least 5 minutes.