If the thought of making homemade meatballs is a daunting one, keep on reading.
This recipe does not require baking, transferring, dumping, or frying your meatballs. It’s a stress-free and busy-mom dream recipe!
During the summer, life doesn’t slow down. In fact, it seems to only get busier—juggling camps, sports, get-togethers, work—then before you know it, the day is over, and you’re left standing in the kitchen wondering what to feed the family for supper! Don’t fall victim to the summer rut!
I often joke on my blog about the secret love affair I have with my crockpot. For busy families, it’s the best kitchen appliance you can own! In the morning, I prepare the ingredients, turn it on low, then come home to a great-smelling kitchen and a dinner ready and waiting to be eaten. Yum!
I make this recipe gluten-free for my daughter by using gluten-free bread crumbs and seasonings. I also serve hers on a gluten-free bun, and she is in seventh heaven! This recipe left our family feeling stuffed with plenty of leftovers. Mom scores again!
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken (or ground turkey)
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Italian Herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 28-ounce can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 24-ounce jar pasta sauce (or homemade)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Spread the onion evenly on the bottom of the crockpot.
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken, bread crumbs, egg, seasonings, and Parmesan cheese.
- Roll the mixture into about 1½-inch-diameter balls (golf ball size), and begin to stack them evenly in your crockpot.
- Pour half the can of diced tomatoes over the meatballs.
- Pour enough pasta sauce over the meatballs just to cover them, about half a jar.
- Cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Ten minutes before serving, on the stovetop in a medium saucepan, heat the remaining pasta sauce and diced tomatoes together.
- Add the mozzarella cheese, and let melt into the sauce, on medium-low heat.
- Serve with your favorite bread. Scoop the desired amount of meatballs into each sandwich, then add cheesy pasta sauce. Sprinkle additional mozzarella or Parmesan on top, if desired.