Looking for an easy homemade PopTarts Recipe? This is it!
Think making your own poptarts would be difficult? We promise it isn’t. At MOMables, we do all the work for you to figure out how to make this family favorite yourself.
These Homemade Poptarts are delicious, easy to make, and made with only a few ingredients! Most important, fresh and real ingredients.
Homemade poptarts make the perfect breakfast treat or after-school snack! They are simply delicious, and I never thought I could make them so easily by myself. I prefer them without any frosting, while my daughter loves to frost and add sprinkles. Both ways they are delicious!
Using strawberries and sugar, we made a delicious filling that will please every member in the family.
You can easily make your own pie dough from scratch, but if you are in a rush, store-bought is an option as well. With these poptarts, we used our homemade pie dough recipe by Chief MOM Laura.
I’ll be honest. Some of my poptarts came out a bit “sloppy,” with filling oozing out from the edge. Some of the dough I didn’t roll to the same consistency. They were not perfect. The perfectionist in me was very upset at first, but my taste buds won. The imperfections in my homemade poptarts made them, well perfect. I’m sure after making them, you’ll see why too!
For an allergy-friendly recipe, click here.
- 1½ cups strawberries, chopped
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- Homemade or store-bought pie dough
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg white (from pasteurized eggs)
- 1¼ cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small 2-3 quart saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar, and honey with a splash of water. Heat over medium heat, bringing the mixture to a simmer for about 10 minutes until it’s the consistency of jam. Once the strawberries have broken down, remove from the heat, and allow it to cool completely. You can skip this step, and use your favorite jam or fresh fruit instead.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll your pie dough to ⅛-inch thick. Cut the dough into 12, 3x4-inch, rectangles.You will need two rectangles per poptart and more than likely, you’ll need to re-shape and recut dough as you go along.
- Fill a small dish with milk and set it next to your baking sheet. Place one row of rectangles onto the lined baking sheet. Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of strawberry filling onto the center of each rectangle, making sure the filling doesn’t get too close to the edges. Carefully, with a pastry brush or your finger, brush milk onto the edges of the dough.
- Top each bottom rectangle with a second piece of rectangular dough. Using your fingers, press down the edges. Then, with a fork, lightly press down to seal the edges of the dough all around. With a sharp knife, cut a 3 or 4 small slits in the top of each poptart (about ½ inch each).
- Bake the pastries in the preheated oven, until golden brown, for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- To make icing, beat the egg white on medium-high speed until peaks form. Add the powdered sugar, mixing gradually, and add the vanilla toward the end. Once the frosting is finished, spread onto each poptart and enjoy!