Want to make your own homemade PopTarts? Check out this recipe.
Think making your own poptarts would be difficult? We promise it isn’t. At MOMables we do all the work for you to figure out how to make this family favorite yourself.
These Homemade Poptarts are delicious, easy to make, and made with only a few ingredients! Most importantly, fresh and real ingredients.
Homemade poptarts make the perfect breakfast treat, or after school snack! They are simply delicious and I never thought I could make them so easily by myself. I prefer them without any frosting, while my daughter loves to frost and add sprinkles. Both ways they are delicious!
Using strawberries and sugar we made a delicious filling that will please every member in the family.
You can easily make your own pie dough from scratch, but if you are in a rush store bought is an option as well. With these poptarts we used our homemade pie dough recipe by Chief MOM Laura. Of course, you can also purchase store bought dough.
I’ll be honest. Some of my poptarts came out a bit “sloppy”, with filling oozing out from the edge. Some of the dough I didn’t roll to the same consistency. They were not perfect. The perfectionist in me was very upset at first, but my taste buds won. The imperfections in my homemade poptarts made them.. well perfect. I’m sure after making them you’ll see why too!
For an allergy friendly recipe click here.
- 1½ cups strawberries, chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons of honey
- splash of milk
- Homemade or store bought pie dough
- 1 egg white (from pasteurized eggs)
- 1¼ cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine strawberries, sugar and honey with a splash of water into a saucepan. Heat over medium heat while stirring and mashing until filling has thickened (for 20 to 30 minutes). Allow your filling cool completely.
- Roll your pie dough on a lightly floured surface until desired thickness is achieved.
- Cut rectangles 3" by 4" out to make poptarts. Roll excess dough and re-cut if necessary. You will need two rectangles to make one poptart.
- Place one row of rectanges down on baking sheet.
- Spoon approximately 1 TB of strawberry filling onto the center each rectangle, making sure to spread only slightly.
- Carefully, with a pastry brush or your finger, brush milk onto edges of dough. Lay the second rectangle over the top and press down with your fingers along the edge to close the poptarts.
- Using a fork press the back of a fork along all the edges to completely seal poptarts.
- Cut a few tiny slits in the top of each poptart.
- Bake until golden brown, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Place poptarts on wire racks and allow to cool completely.
- To make icing beat egg white on medium-high speed until light and frothy. Add powdered sugar gradually while mixing. Add vanilla and continue mixing until fully blended.
- Frost your Homemade poptarts and top with sprinkles if desired and enjoy!
We used this pie dough recipe: http://www.supergluemom.com/aunties-homemade-blueberry-pie-perfect-crust/