Glazed Donut Muffins
- Yield: 18
- Cuisine: Baking
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (can also use all-purpose flour if desired)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin or line with muffin cups.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars till smooth.
- Add the eggs and apple sauce, mixing just enough to combine.
- Add in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full. Using an ice cream scoop makes it easy.
- Bake the muffins for 15-20 minutes, or until muffins are a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, and let them cool for a couple of minutes, or until you can handle them.
For the Glaze:
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Dip top of muffins into glaze after they have cooled for several minutes.
- Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight. Store for a day or so at room temperature.