Gluten-, Egg-, and Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake
- Yield: 2 layer 9-inch cake
- Cuisine: Baking
- 3 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, canned coconut milk or nondairy creamer
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat two 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt, and blend.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until smooth, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Pour into greased cake pans and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat the vegetable shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.
- While mixing on medium speed, add the coconut milk or creamer slowly until all ingredients are combined and the frosting is smooth.
- If the frosting is too thick, add more creamer 1 tablespoon at a time. If it’s too runny, add more powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Frost the cakes after they are completely cooled.