Gluten-, Egg-, and Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake
- Author: MOMables
- Yield: 2 9-inch round cake pans/ 1 birthday cake.
- Cuisine: Baking
- 3 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup nondairy spread or butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or nondairy creamer
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat two 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt, and blend.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until smooth, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Pour into greased cake pans, and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and let them cool for 5 minutes, then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the frosting. (I did mine in my food processor, but you can also make it in a large bowl with an electric mixer.)
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.
- Add the coconut milk or creamer slowly until it’s completely mixed.
- If the frosting is too thick, add more creamer 1 tablespoon at time. If it’s too runny, add more powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Frost the cakes after they are completely cooled.