Want to make veggies more fun for your gluten-free eater? Lasagna cups!
What I love most about making foods in muffin cups is that it’s perfect for portion control, whether for lunch or dinner. It’s also great for grab and go—no cutting or guessing, just grab one and toss it into your lunch container. Done!
The gluten-free veggie lasagna cups are perfect. Completely grain-free and packed full of nutrients, without sacrificing any of the delicious taste we all know and love when it comes to lasagna. They also give you the flexibility to use the vegetables you prefer or have on hand. I like to mix mine up, alternating between zucchini, yellow squash, and mushrooms in each cup.
By using a silicone muffin cup to bake in, they are easy to pack and reheat right inside the cup for both parents and kids.
Gluten-Free Veggie Lasagna Cups
Yields: 1 dozen
- Cuisine: Lunch
- 1/2 pound ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 cup Italian-style shredded cheese + extra for topping
- 8 ounces ricotta
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 8 ounces pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1 zucchini, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 yellow squash, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 12 slices mushroom
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Coat silicone muffin cups with cooking spray inside your muffin tin.
- In a medium pan, brown the beef. Drain the grease from the pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the shredded cheese, ricotta, and egg.
- In another medium bowl, mix together the pasta sauce, tomato paste, and carrot.
- In the bottom of each muffin cup, place either a zucchini or yellow squash round or mushroom slice into each cavity.
- Top with a spoonful of the sauce, then a spoonful of the ground beef. Cover with a spoonful of the ricotta mixture.
- Place another veggie slice on top (mushroom, zuchinni, or squash), then repeat the process.
- Once the cup is filled, make sure the exposed top layer is the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then top with additional shredded cheese, and return to the oven to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes.