Who needs the boxed kind when making your own is this easy?
“It’s Shake ‘N Bake. And I helped!” A classic ad slogan that probably dates me just a wee bit, but a memorable product. Something fun and easy for kids to do to help mom in the kitchen. And with a little twist, a clever concept to keep lunch interesting as well. A shake-up seasoning mix turns same-old, same-old chicken nuggets into something fun and new!
A certain well-known boxed lunch takes advantage of this to entice your kids to beg you to buy their treat-heavy chemical-filled yellow box filled with mystery ingredients.
Well, here at MOMables, they can have their fun, and their treat too! But with fresh fruits and veggies and healthy ingredients you can actually pronounce.
Healthy Lunchables BBQ Chicken Shake-Ups
- Yield: 1
- Category: Lunch
Shake-Up Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or mix 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder with 3/8 teaspoon salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (finely grated or powdered)
- Combine all ingredients and store in air-tight container(s) or baggie(s.) Makes 4 packets.
Lunch box assembly:
- Place MOMables Homemade Chicken Nuggets (depending on appetite) in a lunch box.
- Fill a small baggie or container with one-quarter of prepared seasoning mix (a little over 2 teaspoons).
- Fill a small container or compartment with 1/2 cup MOMables 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Pudding*.
- Reusable water bottle with MOMables Aguas Frescas.
- Serving each of fresh fruit and vegetables.
MOM Tip: If the kids prefer chocolate pudding, to be just like the boxed lunch, add up to 1/2 cup MOMables chocolate syrup to the original recipe, or up to 2 tablespoons to a single serving. Or perhaps they’ll be satisfied with a few chocolate chips sprinkled on top!