Why would we have homemade magic shell in a healthy school lunches website? Because we believe that homemade is best.
Magic shell was one of those rare treats that made ice cream at home even more special as a child. Now, with children of my own, I want them to enjoy some of those same treats I did as a kid.
Why make a homemade Magic Shell? I can save money and I have the ingredients in my pantry at all times. It’s super easy too! Two ingredients, about 30 seconds in the microwave (or stove top) and you have your own version of this delicious, ice cream topping.
It’s the perfect treat for celebrating the end another school week, a soccer game victory or maybe as dessert for a pizza and movie night.
However you choose to enjoy it, I can just about guarantee your kids will think you are a rock star for making this magical treat at home.
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips or semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Place coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl or sauce pan along with chocolate chips.
- Heat in in microwave (or on stove top) for 30 seconds, stir.
- Repeat until both are entirely melted, creating a semi-thick sauce. Allow to cool to room temperature. Do not place in the refrigerator...it will harden!
- Spoon over ice cream and watch as the sauce magically turns into a hardened shell. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.