Can you freeze bread? Good question—one gold star for you!
You might think that freezing bread would dry it out, but if you freeze it correctly, you’ll have fresh bread stored in your freezer for whenever you need it! The trick is to make sure that your bread has fully cooled and is stored in a freezer bag with as little air as possible. We usually double-bag our bread and squeeze out all the air that we can.
Need more tips and how-tos and meal ideas and everything in between sent to your inbox!? Check out MOMables meal plans!
This method works with both homemade breads or store-bought breads, with sliced bread, or an entire loaf. Just make sure to freeze it while it is still fresh because the freezer will not hide the staleness of the bread. If the bread went stale before you froze it, it will still be stale afterward.
The part I like best about freezing bread is that you can freeze it sliced or in an entire loaf. We usually freeze it by the slice because we don’t go through one loaf very quickly, so I prefer being able to take out slices as we need them. If you are going to freeze by the slice, make sure you flash freeze the slices first before storing them in the freezer bag.
Flash freezing prevents the slices from sticking together so they are easier to take out. Flash freezing the loaf is not necessary, but I like to do it so that my loaf doesn’t get smushed among everything else in my freezer. Need to thaw your bread? Just stick it in the fridge overnight, and it’s good to go! Don’t forget, you can also make your own Frozen Uncrustables too!
Need some homemade bread recipes? You can try these:
How to Freeze Bread
- You favorite bread, homemade or store-bought
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Freezer-safe bags
- Bake your bread (if making homemade) and let it cool completely.
- If you’re slicing your bread, individually freeze the slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- If you’re freezing the entire loaf, place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into your freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Once the bread loaf or slices are frozen, store in a freezer bag.
- Squeeze as much air out of the freezer bag as possible, and double-bag if possible.
- When you’re ready to eat your bread, thaw it overnight in the fridge.
Bread can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months.