Can you freeze muffin batter? YES!
This is a common question that members of the MOMables staff get continually, and the answer is YES. You can freeze your muffin batter. Having frozen muffin batter in your freezer ensures that you can have freshly baked muffins almost any time you please. Muffins are so versatile and can be enjoyed with breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack.
By freezing the muffin batter in paper liners, it makes your job easier. It’s so much easier to just simply take out the paper liner and bake it.
Mornings are always hectic, especially when breakfast hasn’t been planned and lunches aren’t packed for the day. This is where MOMables can step in and make your life easier! Click here if you would like to make your mornings a lot less stressful!
It really is as simple as that! All you have to do is take them out of the freezer, place them into the tin, and bake. Add a few more minutes of baking time if you take the batter directly out of the freezer.
I usually use a freezer-safe bag to store my muffin batter because that is what works best in our small freezer. I place my frozen muffin batter in the bag and try to squeeze out as much air as I possibly can. I then take that bag and place it in another freezer bag to prevent freezer burn. When my bag is empty, I then rinse it, let it dry, and use it again for the next batch. I reuse the bag as many times as I can.
How to Freeze Muffin Batter
- Paper liners
- Muffin/cupcake tin
- Your favorite muffin recipe
- Freezer-safe container or bag
- Place paper liners in your muffin/cupcake tin.
- Follow your muffin recipe, and mix the ingredients well.
- Scoop out your muffin batter into the paper liners.
- Place the entire muffin tin in the freezer (on a flat surface) and freeze until solid (at least 2 hours).
- Once the muffin batter is completely frozen, take the paper liners out of the tin and place them in a freezer-safe container or bag.
- Return the batter to the freezer.
- When you’re ready to bake the muffins, place the liners inside the muffin tin as needed, and bake accordingly (adding a few minutes to the baking time if taken immediately from the freezer)
Muffin batter can be stored up to 3 months in the freezer.
Using a large ice cream scoop can ensure that you divide the batter equally for each muffin.