Get access to a FREE week of menus
My favorite kind of recipes are those that are flexible. Recipes that, on any given day, I can make work with what I might have in my pantry. These muffins are just that kind of recipe.
The basic ingredients are the same…flour, baking soda, baking powder, applesauce. What you choose to add in from there is completely up to you. It can be fresh blueberries, walnuts, a dash of cinnamon. Maybe some chocolate chips or dried fruit?
Even your pickiest eater will have a combination that they will love. And you know what? They are perfect for adding them in one of your MOMables lunches.
The flour in this recipe is whole wheat pastry flour. It’s different than whole wheat flour in that it comes from a softer wheat, giving pastries a delicate texture instead of the usual dense baked goods whole wheat flour often yields. If you don’t have whole wheat pastry flour it can be substituted with all-purpose flour.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce or yogurt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen fruit, thawed
- ½ cup pecans, walnuts or almonds, chopped
- ⅔ cup dried fruit
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place muffin liners in a 12 standard-size muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients; flour, ground flax, baking powder, baking
sodaand sugar. Add in yogurt, melted butterand milk. Stir until thoroughly combined, creating a smooth, stiff batter. Gently fold in additional ingredient options, then divide batter equally spooning into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tops are golden. Transfer to cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature, store remaining muffins in an air tight container.
* indicates required