Looking for something to bake with your kids? Baking together can be a great bonding activity.
There is almost nothing better than the smell of freshly baked cookies! Your kids will be delighted to see a homemade cookie as dessert in their MOMables lunch.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies are simply my favorite cookies ever. I tend to make up to two batches a month, and we eat them as snacks or as dessert throughout the month. I absolutely love making cookies from scratch.
Not only is it better for you than store-bought cookies, because you know every ingredient that goes into the cookie, for some reason, I find the whole process of making them and watching the dough turn into cookies therapeutic. Oh and, of course, eating cookies is very therapeutic too. ;)
Now, I have made these same cookies for years, but this time I decided to try something different. I wanted to make these cookies healthier, so I decided to switch some of the butter for applesauce. After that switch, I found that my batter seemed a little runny, so I added a little bit more flour and more oats.
The finished result was perfect. The cookies had a cake-like texture and they were delicious! You could take it a step further and substitute some of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour as well. Everyone in your family will love them and ask you to make them again!
The best part about these cookies is that they are so easy to make. Once you measure out all the ingredients, you’ll see that everything goes into one bowl and your dough comes together very quickly.
Tip: Use an ice cream scoop for perfectly shaped cookies.
Cookies are always a yummy addition to the lunch box—if they last that long!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Yield: 2 dozen large cookies
- Cuisine: Treat
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2- 2 1/2 cups quick oats
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, and line cookie sheets with parchment paper, or silpat liner.
- Cream the butter with a mixer.
- Add the applesauce, sugars, salt, cloves, baking soda, cinnamon, and baking powder to the butter, and mix well.
- Add the vanilla and eggs, and blend.
- Add the flour, a little at a time, and mix until fully blended.
- Add the oats, and mix with a spoon.
- Add in the chocolate chunks, and mix with a spoon.
- Using a 3-tablespoon ice cream scoop, drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 13 minutes.
- Leave the cookies on the cookie sheet to cool for a few minutes. Then remove the cookies from the cookie sheet onto a cooling rack, and allow them to finish cooling.
If the batter seems too thin, you can add more oats if necessary, one spoonful at a time.