Do you like root beer floats? Then you will like these even more! Give them a try.
You will love them with a scoop of ice cream or used to make ice cream sandwiches. This is my edible version of a root beer float!
Old-Fashioned Root Beer Cookies
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
- Cuisine: Baking
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) (softened at room temperature)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (at room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons Zatarain’s root beer extract
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in the butter and blend with a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly.
- With a fork, stir in the egg, half-and-half, and root beer extract. Blend well with the fork, then with your hands to ensure thorough blending.
- Chill the dough for 15 minutes. If you are rolling the dough, chill it for 1 hour, and then roll and cut into the desired shapes.
- Scoop out with a tablespoon, and lay on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes when scooped (or 6 to 7 when rolled to ¼-inch thick), or until lightly brown.