Looking for a midweek meal that takes very little effort to make?
Then you’ll love our Quick and Easy Skillet Lasagna. This kid approved recipe, has the meaty, tomato sauce and cheesy goodness of traditional lasagna, but takes a lot less time to make. A win for everyone when it comes to putting dinner on the table!
Want to check out how easy this lasagna is to make? Watch the quick video below.
All you need is a large skillet and you’re set. You don’t even have to boil the pasta separately, it’s all done right in the skillet! Use your pasta of choice, gluten-free, whole wheat, anything goes! And you can create a vegetarian option by omitting the Italian sausage for a Meatless Monday meal.
If you need more recipes like this one to help you add variety to your meals, check out our Classic and Grain Free Meal Plans.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil*
- 1 pound Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 24 ounces tomato sauce (omit seasonings below if sauce is seasoned)
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces farfalle pasta (bowties)*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (more for serving)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- In a large (5 quart/ 12 inch) skillet over medium high heat, add coconut oil and Italian sausage. Cook until sausage is nearly browned and cooked through, then add minced garlic.
- Finish cooking the sausage with the garlic.
- Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings (if sauce isn’t seasoned) to the cooked sausage.
- Add in 2 cups of water and pasta to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Once it’s boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook until pasta is tender, about 12 additional minutes (this will vary depending on the pasta you use).
- When pasta is cooked, remove from heat.
- Stir in mozzarella and combine.
- Top with small mounds of ricotta cheese and Parmesan, cover and wait a couple of minutes for ricotta to heat and melt in.
- Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.