Get access to a FREE week of school lunch menus
I can hardly believe it’s been 10 years since the 9-11 attacks. I can tell you exactly what I was doing at the time and the horrifying thought that I was at the World Trade center just five days before. Crazy! But this post is not about that. This is about remembering the lives lost, celebrating those who lived and honoring our country with remembering who we are. This 9-11 bake off was encouraged by Family Fresh Cooking. Thank you Maria for inspiring me to bake.
Southern Peach Coffee Cake
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 3 large peaches
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- Peel and thinly slice the peaches and put them on paper towels to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Heat oven to 350°.
- Combine the 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream the 4 ounces of softened butter with the granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Beat for about 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs until smooth. Beat in sour cream and vanilla and almond extracts. With mixer on low speed, beat in the flour mixture just until blended. Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. Arrange the thinly sliced peaches evenly over the batter, overlapping where needed.
- In another bowl combine the brown sugar, 3/4 cup flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg, stirring with a fork until smooth. Add the 5 tablespoons of melted butter and blend well with the fork. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the peach slices.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the cake is firm and top is browned.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes on a rack; remove the side of the pan and cool completely before slicing.