Looking for a new, simple way to make sugar cookies that compare to the ones sold at the grocery store?
Sugar cookies are classic recipe, when it comes to your baking arsenal. Finding one that is reliable, and even better, not time consuming, can be a challenge.
This easy to make Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookie (no refrigeration required) recipe, will change the way you think about baking sugar cookies. The dough comes together quickly, and bakes into a cookie with a crisp outer layer and soft, chewy center.
They are easily customized by finishing them off with our fresh fruit frosting or a simple sprinkle of sugar to each cookie before baking. However you choose to making them, you’ll be glad you did!
Check out how easy these cookies are to make.
To add more inspiration to you meals and baking click here for a sample of our meal plan.
For the gluten free version, click here.
Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Yield: 6 dozen
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 pint raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream butter, sugar and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Add the flour to the mixture and combine until flour is well incorporated.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball.
- Place on baking sheet. Using the bottom of a jar or glass flatten ball of dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges of cookie are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for approximately 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack.
- Frost cookies once completely cooled.
To make frosting:
- In a medium bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
- Reducing mixer speed, slowly add in powdered sugar and milk.
- If frosting seems too thick add additional teaspoon of milk until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Frost cookies once they have cooled completely.
- Store any remaining frosting in airtight container in refrigerator.
For rollout cookies, include the cream cheese, and make the dough with 3 1/2 cups flour; place the dough in a plastic bag, flatten it into a disk, and chill for 1 hour before rolling it out and cutting. Bake the cookies for 8 minutes, until golden brown at the edges. The recipe will make 6 dozen 2″ cookies.
Adapted from King Arthur Flour