Are you in a meal planning rut? Looking to add new meals to your weekly rotation, but nervous about recipes with fancy names and ingredients? If so, your family is going to ask for seconds when you make this Spaghetti Carbonara recipe!
Introducing new foods to your kids at mealtime, can present many challenges. If these new meals have ingredients that they know and love, you’ve won half the battle. Today’s recipe is a combination of two kid friendly ingredients, spaghetti and bacon, making this a meal that will surely become a family favorite.
While Spaghetti Carbonara may seem like a fancy, time consuming dish, it couldn’t be easier. This simple pasta recipe comes together quickly, all in one skillet, and will taste like you slaved away in the kitchen for hours. Left overs make a great thermos lunch for both kids and adults alike!
For more recipes, tips, and even a shopping list to help you add a little variety to your school lunches and meals, get a sample of our meal plans.
- Yield: 6
- 1/2 pound dried spaghetti
- 4 slices of
thick cutbacon (about 4 oz), cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a large pot, over
medium highheat, bring water to a boil. Once water is boiling, cook pasta, until al dente. When pasta is ready; reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, drain pasta, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute bacon over medium-heat high.
- When bacon is browned and just beginning to crisp, add garlic and onion. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until bacon is brown and crisp and onions are translucent.
- In a separate dish, whisk together
eggs,parmesan,pepper and set aside.
- Turn heat to low and add drained pasta to
onion, garlicand bacon in skillet. Mix pasta and cooked bacon and pour egg mixture over pasta.
- Working quickly, use tongs to toss and combine pasta with egg,
baconand onions. If pasta is too dry, add a tablespoon of reserved pasta water at a time, until a creamy consistency is reached.This will create a “sauce”.
- Garnish with parsley, black
pepperand additional parmesan cheese.
Turn leftovers into an awesome school lunch by heating up pasta in the morning and packing inside a pre-heated thermos.