Mini Carrot and Zucchini Bites
When you want to add more veggies into your kids’ lunchboxes but don’t want it to “look” like veggies, these mini carrot and zucchini bites add nutrition and taste delicious!
Sometimes, when I plan meals for the week, I find myself wanting to put to use some of the “leftover veggies, ” but I don’t always have enough for a full meal.
TI often try to explain to my readers that I have this weird ability to look at ingredients and use them in my favorite basic recipes, like a basic quiche recipe, and turn them into something like this mini carrot and zucchini bites.
For this recipe, I grated some leftover lonely veggies so that they didn’t go to waste. Because sometimes I have one lonely zucchini and then my mini quiche recipe comes to the rescue!
These turned out perfect for my family since they are a naturally gluten and grain free recipe. I like that they are high in protein and add variety to our school and office lunches.
Quiches come together quickly in one bowl, and the oven does the rest. You can eat these at any meal, or pack them in a lunchbox for school or the office. If you don’t mind quiches at room temperature, they pack great inside a lunchbox. Otherwise, heat them up and put them inside your favorite thermos.
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil* (or any oil)
- ¾ cup packed grated green zucchini
- ¾ cup packed grated carrots
- 2 green shallots (onions), green ends trimmed off, white finely chopped (optional)
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- ⅓ cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and grease a mini cupcake pan.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini, carrots, and shallots, and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes until the veggies begin to soften. Remove from heat and set aside to cool down to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine veggies, eggs, grated cheese, and salt. Spoon mixture into mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Allow mini quiches to cool in the pan before carefully removing with a small knife or spatula.