Easy Baked Potato Smashers
Looking for another way to eat potatoes? These Baked Potato Smashers are a fun twist for a side dish or for lunch the next day!
These fun spuds are a marriage of two potato favorites…. mashed and baked potatoes. And the best part…you can season these with ANYTHING! Cheese, your favorite grill spice, dip in sour cream, french onion dip…. the list could go on forever. I made half of the batch tangy, with my favorite potato chip flavor (salt and vinegar) and the other half just with salt.
The kids had a blast making these. After I prepped the potatoes for smashing, my girls would yell, “SMASH” with every potato they pressed. So fun! Experiment with variety of dips!
Potato Smasher Recipe
- Cuisine: Sides
- 1.5 lbs one-bite round or fingerling potatoes
- kosher salt to taste
- extra virgin olive oil (about 2 tbsp)
- Bring potatoes to a boil in a large pot, cook for 20 minutes or until you can easily stick with a fork, but not so long that the potato falls apart when it is stuck.
- Lay a clean dish towel on the counter and place potatoes on the towel in small groups. Using your fist smash each potato. The peel will split, but the potato will remain in one smashed piece. Repeat for all potatoes.
- Drizzle the first tbsp of oil on the bottom of a baking sheet.
- Place smashed potatoes on the sheet, then drizzle remaining oil over the tops of potatoes. Use a brush to spread the oil evenly.
- Roast in the oven at 450 degrees for 35 minutes.
- I tossed 1/2 with malt vinegar then sprinkled them all with kosher salt to taste. You could season this with anything you love!
- Serving Size: 4-6