Mix some nutritious, protein-packed quinoa with veggies and delicious Mexican spices in this vegetarian Southwest Quinoa. Use the leftovers for lunch!
If you’re a long-time reader, you know how much I love repurposing meals – it’s like a two-for-one! That’s why I love dinner recipes that can be easily packed in the lunch boxes for the kids (and for me at the office).
This Southwest Quinoa fits the bill. First, it takes less than 30 minutes to cook for dinner – yes, please! It’s a great vegetarian dinner option that’s full of protein and nutrition from quinoa and black beans. Once everyone’s done eating, I can pack the leftovers up in lunch boxes with some fresh fruits and veggies, and tortilla chips as a treat, and we’re good to go!
Sometimes I even double the recipe so I’m guaranteed leftovers. Because when I can make meal time a little easier, I go for it!
- 1 cup (173 g) quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (470 g) water
- ¾ cup (195 g) jarred salsa
- 1 teaspoon (2.6 g) chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (2.5 g) ground cumin
- 1 cup (130 g) frozen corn
- 1 15 ounce (425 g) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup (4 g) finely chopped cilantro
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (115 g) plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lime juice
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) salt
- ½ teaspoon (1 g) freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) garlic powder
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup (115 g) shredded cheddar
- Bring the water to a boil, then stir in the quinoa, lower the heat and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes and turn off heat.
- Cover and let sit for 6 minutes - you'll know the quinoa is ready when you see the little white "tail" of the germ around the outside edge of each seed.
- In a small bowl whisk yogurt, salt, pepper, garlic and lime juice, set aside.
- Once quinoa is done, add salsa, chili powder and cumin, fold to combine well. Mix in cilantro, green onions, black beans and corn. Fold a few times until thoroughly combined. Stir in the yogurt dressing.
- Serve with avocado and cheese and garnish with additional cilantro if desired.