Are you tired packing the same ham and cheese sandwich in the lunch bag? This apple and cheddar grilled cheese sandwich recipe is a winner!
If you are, look no further. This recipe is simple and delicious!
Fall is the time of year when apples of all shapes, sizes and colors are ready for picking in both apple orchards and the produce aisle.
You can use apples in both sweet and savory ways. And while I’m a huge fan of sweet, apple crisp, I think this grilled cheese sandwich with apples might just be my favorite savory way to enjoy them!
Creamy white cheddar compliments the crunch and tartness of apple. Add a little spicy mustard and you’ve got a delicious snack or addition to your kids’ lunchbox.
Apple and Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Cuisine: Lunch
- 1 apple, variety is your choice, thinly sliced
- 1-2 slices cheddar cheese (I used a white cheddar)
- 2 slices of bread
- Spicy mustard -we used Zatarain’s Creole Mustard
- Preheat your skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Butter one side of a slice of bread. Place bread butter-side-down onto skillet bottom and add apple slices and 1 (or 2) slice of cheese, enough to cover surface area of bread.
- Butter a second slice of bread on one side, and place butter-side-up on top of sandwich.
- Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted and second side is golden brown. Slice in half and serve immediately.
- If packing for a lunch allow to cool on cooling rack before putting in lunch container (to prevent sogginess). Dip in spicy creole mustard for an added punch of flavor -or spread a little bit inside the sandwich.