Easy Black Bean Veggie Burger
Looking for an alternative to hamburgers? Our black bean burgers are a family favorite!
Made small and sandwiched in slider buns, they are the perfect addition to any lunch box!
There’s nothing I love more than grilling on warm sunshiny summer days! I’m not always in the mood for a heavy, greasy burger. That’s why I love mixing it up with a delicious Grilled Black Bean Burger instead.
Black beans are a great source of fiber and provide support for your digestive health. I love coming up with excellent ways to incorporate them into our meals. MOMables is a great resource, using them in recipes such as Black Bean Corn Cakes or wrapped in a Burrito with sweet potatoes.
MOMables menus provide tons of recipes similar to these burgers, which are healthy and satisfying for your growing kids!
The burgers themselves are simple to make and smell as good as they taste. Naturally allergy-friendly, they can also be made gluten-free and vegan too, depending on what type of bread crumb or oats you use in the recipe.
We served ours on our favorite allergy-friendly hamburger buns and topped with optional Chipotle Cheddar cheese. To keep this dairy-free and vegan, sub your favorite nondairy cheese substitute or omit completely.
I also found that leftover burgers are great packed in lunch the next day!
Grilled Black Bean Burgers
- Yield: 6 burgers
- Cuisine: Dinner
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed & drained (2 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, or oats
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped (1/4 cup red onion)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 egg, or 1 flax egg, (see the note)
- In a large mixing bowl, gently mash the black beans. Add garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and cilantro, mix to combine.
- To the black beans, add peppers, bread crumbs, onion, carrot, and egg. Mix to combine.
- With your hands, form six patties.
- In a large greased pan, pan-fry the patties over medium heat. Flip after 5 minutes, and grill or cook for an additional 5 minutes on the other side.
- Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomato, and pickles. Alternatively, serve over a bed of lettuce as a salad.
Flax egg: 1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons warm water. Mix and set aside for at least 5 minutes.