Are you looking for a low carb pasta option or grain free lunch ideas? Perhaps a way to sneak more veggies into your family’s diet?
We love zucchini. It’s low in calories and carbs, contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. This is great for Mom who is always attune to the needs of her feminine figure. ;) It’s also a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, antioxidants, folates, and potassium. This is great for my daughter and the overall health of my family.
We’ve showed you some amazing ways to use zucchini already: Veggie Lasagna Cups, Pizza Bites, Carrot & Zucchini Bars, Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins, and even in a delish Cheesy Rice dish. All great and simple ways for your family to enjoy this nutritional vegetable!
Have you ever made pasta noodles using zucchini? It’s so simple! We’ll show you!
The way you make the noodles themselves is really your choice. You can julienne them by hand, thinly slice them using a mandolin, or even use your every day potato peeler to slice them into a thin ribbon size noodle.
Some enjoy them raw, but I love sauteing them as we’ve shown here. They’re soft and full of flavor! Giving you the texture of a traditional pasta noodle but without all the calories or carbohydrates. That means no guilt when you load your plate for a helping a seconds!
They’re best served immediately and fresh, but can be packed up for lunch the next day with a little extra Parmesan, fresh tomatoes, and basil. Serve them this way for dinner or with your favorite pasta sauce poured over them. Your family will be amazed at the texture and taste of this “pasta” dish.
An excellent low carb, grain free, and gluten free option for dining! Use a vegan Parmesan cheese topping to also making it friendly for those on Paleo diets. Enjoy!
- 3 Zucchini or Summer Squash (6-8" long in size)
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of lemon peel
- 1-2 Tablespoons of freshly chopped basil
- Optional toppings: Pasta sauce, Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and/or fresh tomatoes.
- Scrub and clean fresh zucchini. Remove ends and julienne by hand or using a mandolin. (Discard core and seeds as they do not saute well in this application.)
- In a skillet on the stove, add 1 Tablespoon of EVOO on medium-high heat. Once heated, add half your zucchini noodles. You will need to cook them in two batches.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of lemon peel. Toss and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Half way through, add half of your allotted freshly chopped basil (approximately ½ - 1 Tablespoon worth) and finish cooking until noodles are soft.
- Repeat with second batch of noodles.
- Serve immediately with favorite pasta sauce, topped with Parmesan, fresh basil, and/or fresh tomatoes.