What if I showed you how to capture the scent and flavors of apple pie into a delicious muffin? This apple pie muffin recipe is delicious and smells heavenly.
“Whatcha bakin’ Mom?’ I love it.
After a summer break from baking fall always brings me right back to a baking frame of mind. The aroma of cinnamon, apple and spices fill my kitchen with warmth…and children wanting to sample the goods.
This simple recipe doesn’t require pulling out the mixer. Just a large mixing bowl, spoon and little stirring muscle. The batter is thick, but the muffins are surprising light. If you don’t have apples on hand pears work well too.
And when you are done with these, be sure to whip up a batch of my Coffee Cake Muffins. These are made with a cinnamon swirl and are absolutely delightful.
Apple Pie Muffins
makes 12 muffins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Cuisine: Baking
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup maple sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup chopped apple (about 1 apple)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients; flour, ground flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add in applesauce, melted butter, milk and chopped apples. Stir until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.