Love apple fritters, but want a healthy version that can be made ahead of time? If so, you are going to love these baked apple fritter muffins!
Apple fritters have a classic flavor and are a favorite for many, but the process of making the dough and frying the fritters can be time consuming, especially in the mornings.
The solution to enjoying the same warm, cinnamon and apple flavors, without all the fuss, are these Baked Apple Fritter Muffins.
This ingredient list includes many items that are probably already pantry staples. The batter comes together quickly, and can be made, and refrigerated, the night before.
Bake them for about 20 minutes the next morning. Not only will your house smell amazing, but you’ll have a warm, portable breakfast to take as you get out the door and on with your day!
Watch how easy these muffins are to make. Spoiler alert: they are super fun to watch rise!
For a gluten free version, click here.
To find more recipes like this, and add variety to your family’s meals, click here for a sample of our meal plan.
Apple Fritter Muffins
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 32 minutes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 apple peeled and chopped in small even sized pieces (any variety)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened at room temperature (not melted)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- In a separate, large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the sugar with butter until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and eggs in, one at a time, until incorporated.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the milk to the batter and stir until smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup with approximately one tablespoon of batter and top with the chopped apple.
- Top with additional batter, about another tablespoon, covering the apples.
- Top each muffin with ½ teaspoon brown sugar mixture.
- Using the back of a fork, gently swirl the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture into the muffin batter.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for about 22 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
You can use whole-wheat pastry flour (white whole-wheat) but not regular wheat flour. If you want to add whole-wheat flour to the recipe, you can use 1 cup all-purpose flour + ½ whole-wheat flour. Using 100% regular whole-wheat flour will yield dense muffins.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 15.2mg
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1g
- Carbohydrates: 28.6g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 51.3mg