Quick desserts never seem like they are healthy, want one that is?
Want a healthy dessert that is easy and quick to get together? That also includes vegetables?! Well here you go! I aim to please. I stumbled on these Carrot Zucchini Bars years ago and have made them ever since. They are a favorite in our family, and I hope they will be in yours too.
Carrot and Zucchini Bars
- Yield: 24, 2-inch squares 1x
- Cuisine: Baking
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot, about 2 large carrots
- 1 cup packed shredded zucchini, about 1 medium zucchini
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a large 13×9 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add in the ginger, carrot, zucchini, brown sugar, raisins, butter or oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Combine the wet mixture into the flour mixture until you have a cohesive batter.
- Pour the mixture inside the greased baking pan and bake, for 22-25 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
- Once cooled, cut into square bars.
After shredding your carrots and zucchini, lightly pat them dry with a paper towel if they seem too damp.
Michelle from Creative Food loves to bake and make creative bentos and lunches for her daughter. She shares them at her blog, Creative Food.