Sweet breakfast muffins aren’t your thing? Then this healthy savory muffins is just for you! Packed with breakfast sausage, Cheddar cheese, and chopped apple, it’s hearty enough to be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Delicious, cheesy and everything you want for breakfast in the form of a muffin! Let’s face it, every time you and I bake a batch of muffins, no one wants to eat only one!
That’s why we made these JUMBO-size. They’re big enough to grab on the way out the door and still have a complete, filling breakfast!
If you don’t have a jumbo muffin tin on hand, don’t worry! This recipe can absolutely be made in a regular muffin it. Just keep an eye out because they’ll bake faster than the jumbo size.
Recipes just like this are found in the Classic Meal Plans. All the family favorites made healthy and simple, so you can enjoy them anytime!
What goes in Sausage Muffins?
Don’t worry, since it’s a breakfast muffin we made sure to keep the recipe clean by swapping regular flour for oat flour making this recipe 100% gluten-free while adding some extra fiber! Instead of oil, we used yogurt, so they’re super moist and A WHOLE LOT healthier than your typical coffee shop muffin.
Which gives you one more reason to enjoy a jumbo muffin all by yourself!
Can I freeze leftover muffins?
In case you have leftovers, YES! Freeze these muffins before or after you bake them to keep a backup breakfast on hand. Freezing muffins is a great way to plan ahead for busy mornings or easy after-school snacks.
These Sausage muffins are so filling and dense, they’re a huge hit with the kids after an active day of sports or other activities.
If you are on the hunt for more savory muffin recipes check out this post with another one of my favorite sweet and savory muffin recipes.
Tell me what you think?! Are these healthy savory muffins on your menu?
Cheddar Apple Sausage Jumbo Muffins
Healthy, savory muffins packed with sausage, apples, and cheddar cheese, this is one muffin you can enjoy any time of the day!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 – 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 – 45 minutes
- Yield: 10 muffins 1x
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage crumbled
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 3 cups oat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons whole milk yogurt or low-fat
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cups diced apple
- Fresh chives, chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat, add oil and sauté onion until translucent and tender. Add the sausage and break up until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, coconut oil, and eggs.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, apples, and cooked sausage.
- Transfer the batter to the jumbo muffin tin, filling about 3/4th full, and topping with cheese and chives, if using.
- Bake 5 minutes at 400F, lower the heat to 350F and bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cooling 5 minutes before removing from the muffin tin and enjoying.
- Serving Size: 1 muffins
- Calories: 361
- Fat: 19.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.1 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 18.6 g
Keywords: healthy savory muffins