Have you ever wondered how to sneak more veggies into your child’s dinner? This cheesy rice is lick-the-bowl good and will have your kids asking for more!
This recipe allows you to take your leftover vegetables and do something with them before you have to throw them out. There seems to always be a stray carrot or bell pepper in my fridge that I tend to forget about. Does this happen to you? If it does, you’ll love this recipe. There will be no more wasted veggies in your fridge each week.
This side dish will surely win over everyone in the house but especially if you are looking to win over your picky eaters. Just the name is exciting enough: Cheesy Stop-Light Rice. This recipe can be made quickly, and it’s perfect for those dinner-in-a-hurry nights! If you find yourself with extra grated zucchini, you might want to hop on over to our Carrot & Zucchini Bars recipe. Kids love this dish? Double it and pack it in a thermos in their lunch box.
Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Cheesy Stop-Light Rice
- Cuisine: Dinner
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Pinch of salt
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- ¼ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil.
- Add the minced garlic and rice to the saucepan, and toss until fully coated.
- Add the chicken broth and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and cover the saucepan.
- Cooke for 15 to 20 minutes until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Remove the rice from the heat, and stir in the grated zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, and cheese.
- Ready to serve and eat!