October 20, 2022
Have you ever tried cinnamon hot chocolate? If not, you are in for a treat; this delicious combination of cocoa and cinnamon spice tastes like heaven in a mug.
It’s incredibly simple and a fantastic idea for holiday gatherings or hot chocolate boards.
Here’s what you’ll need to make a cup of cinnamon hot cocoa:
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: we’re talking Hershey’s cocoa powder; try not to use Dutch-processed cocoa.
- Cinnamon: always use what you have in the pantry, but the best option is ground Ceylon cinnamon.
- Granulated sugar: regular white or brown sugar.
- Hot water: helps melt the cocoa powder and sugar.
- Salt: elevates the flavors of cocoa, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Milk: your favorite dairy or non-dairy. *I recommend using full-fat or oat milk for the best consistency and flavor.
- Vanilla extract: an ingredient that makes hot cocoa taste better!
How to Make Hot Chocolate with Cinnamon
Grab a large saucepan, and let’s make this drinkable treat!
- Make the base
Combine the cocoa powder, cinnamon, sugar, water, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the milk
Reduce the heat and stir in the milk, making sure it doesn’t boil. Remove from heat, and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour yourself a cup
Transfer this delicious elixir into mugs and top with whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon.
Here are a few ways you can add to the already delicious flavor:
Make it spicy!
For a Mexican hot chocolate variation, add ⅛th teaspoon of Cayenne pepper along with the cinnamon. It certainly kicks the flavor up a notch.
Make it sweeter
Caramel sauce blends beautifully with cocoa and cinnamon. Drizzle a tablespoon or two of sauce directly into the saucepan and whisk it in with the rest of the ingredients.
Best Toppings for Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
With cinnamon in the mix, you’ll want to top your cocoa with items that complement the flavors, not mask them. Below are a few ideas you could set out for your family or guests to select from:
- Whipped cream- a given!
- Homemade marshmallows or storebought
- Chocolate shavings or sprinkles
- White chocolate shavings
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Biscoff cookies- for dipping.
Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cocoa powder, cinnamon, sugar, water, and salt over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat, and stir in the milk, do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour into mugs and serve immediately.