MOMables has tons of amazing lunch ideas that are just too good too pass up! Join us!
When I first heard of this concept, my mind was blown. To be quite honest, I was actually rather skeptical until I tried it myself. The results were absolutely amazing! The bread came out so soft, even the crust, which was probably the best part.
Why was this the best part? Well, I know I can’t be the only one that has to cut off the crust of sandwich bread just for my child to consume it. FINALLY a bread that I don’t have to remove the crusts from!
Does this all sound too good to be true? Well, let me show you just how easy this is to do. To get started, you will need 1 batch of bread dough (enough to make a one-pound loaf).
This quick and easy recipe will revolutionize your sandwiches! This bread tastes so good, you will never believe it came from your crock-pot!
Crock-Pot Sandwich Bread
This recipe makes 2 loaves. See notes for substitutions.
- 2 teaspoons active-dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 5 ½ cups all-purpose OR bread flour
- Pour the warm water (make sure the water is warm to the touch) into the bowl of a standing mixer or large mixing bowl; sprinkle the yeast over the top. Let this mixture stand for approximately 5 minutes, or until the yeast has dissolved.
- Add the milk, sugar, salt, melted butter and 1 cup of flour to the yeast mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add the remaining 4 ½ cups of flour. Stir the entire mixture for a few minutes.
- Using the dough hook attachment on a standing mixer, knead the dough for 8-10 minutes. Or knead the dough by hand on a flat surface that has been sprinkled with flour. If the dough is sticky, add extra flour, a tablespoon at a time, until it is no longer sticky. The dough has been thoroughly kneaded when it is smooth, feels slightly tacky, forms a ball without sagging, and springs back when poked. There is no need to let the bread rise. It will rise and bake all at once, during the slow cooking process.
- This recipe makes 2 loaves of bread, so at this point I separate my dough into 2 equal balls. I put one half in the refrigerator, covered.
- Shape the remaining dough ball into a loaf and place in a loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Place the loaf pan into the slow cooker and cover with the lid.
- Set your slow cooker to HIGH and bake for approximately 1-2 ½ hours. Baking times will vary. I check my loaf around the 1 hour mark, then 30 minutes later, then every 15 minutes until it is done. A finished loaf will have an internal temperature of approximately 190°F to 200°F.
- If you wanted a crustier loaf, you can put the loaf under the broiler for a few minutes to brown up the top. Because I was using my bread for sandwich bread, I left it as is.
- Let the loaf cool completely on a wire rack, then slice and serve.
- Repeat baking process with refrigerated loaf and freeze after loaf has been cooked.
You can use up to 50% white whole wheat flour (whole wheat pastry flour) for this bread. If you use regular whole wheat the bread will not rise as well. Please do not use all whole wheat flour for this recipe, you will have dense bread.