Hands down, the best dairy-free chocolate frosting recipe you can whip up fast at home.
This recipe is simple and will satisfy even the toughest chocolateaholic critics out there. Use it to frost your favorite chocolate cake recipe or, for an allergy-friendly version, Check out my Gluten, Egg, and Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake Recipe.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
Five simple ingredients make up this dairy-free chocolate frosting. You will need:
- Vegetable shortening
- Vanilla extract
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Powdered sugar
- Canned coconut milk or non-dairy creamer
For the recipe amounts and directions, check the recipe card below.
How to Make Dairy-Free Chocolate Frosting
Making dairy-free chocolate frosting at home is simple. You will need a hand mixer and a large bowl or, a stand mixer to whip up the ingredients into the classic frosting texture you’ve come to love.
Check out this video below where I show you how to make this dairy-free frosting. In the video, I also show you how to make my allergy-friendly cake recipe.
Sugar-Free Chocolate Frosting
To turn this recipe into a sugar-free chocolate frosting, you can swap the traditional powdered sugar with powdered erythritol.
Extra Tips for the Perfect Dairy Free Frosting
For the ultimate whipped frosting texture, you’ll want to follow the recipe and not make any substitutions. That said, here are a few tips to make the perfect dairy-free frosting:
- Make sure the vegetable shortening is at room temperature and soft, not melted.
- Using canned coconut milk or dairy-free coffee creamer will yield a thicker texture than using a dairy-free milk alternative (like almond or soy). Using a milk alternative will yield a “runnier” frosting.
- Use powdered sugar, not granulated sugar.
- Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon instant coffee for a deeper chocolate flavor.
- Wait for your cake to fully cool down to room temperature before frosting. Otherwise, your frosting texture will be runnier.
- This dairy-free chocolate frosting needs to be at room temperature for easy spreading.
How Long Does Homemade Dairy-Free Frosting Last?
Homemade dairy-free frosting will last a week in the refrigerator in an airtight container or zip bag.
To have a ready-made cake, make this frosting, frost the cake, and refrigerate it until you’re ready to serve it, for up to 5 days.
You can also frost your cake or cupcakes and freeze them. To enjoy a slice or a cupcake, simply take it out of the freezer, and in 15 to 20 minutes it’s ready to be enjoyed.
How to Store Homemade Frosting
This dairy-free homemade frosting is best stored in the refrigerator for up to a week, in the freezer for up to 3 months once frosted on a cake or cupcakes.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake & Frosting Recipes
When you need an allergy-friendly treat, this frosting goes epic on top of my favorite gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate cake!
Another recipe you can use this frosting on is my Paleo Chocolate Cake Recipe.
Want more dairy-free treats? Check out this book!
Clean Treats Cookbook
Healthy and wholesome dessert recipes you’ll want to eat made with clean ingredients you already have on hand.
Grab your copy today!
Dairy-Free Chocolate Frosting
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened canned coconut milk or non-dairy creamer
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the vegetable shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.
- While mixing on medium speed, add the coconut milk or creamer slowly until all ingredients are combined, and the frosting is smooth.
- If the frosting is too thick, add more creamer 1 tablespoon at a time. If it’s too runny, add more powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- This frosting is ready to use once the cake has cooled completely.