Do you ever find yourself wanting a quick yet healthier version of the boxed oatmeal from the store? This recipe has less sugar but is just as rich in flavor.
While my family loves recipes like baked oatmeal and overnights oats, instant oatmeal is one of those breakfast household staples I always keep on hand. Those little packets, usually 10 to a box, are very convenient for rushed mornings.
If you have kids (especially big ones) who love instant oatmeal, you know they can go through two or three packets in one sitting! By Thursday, I am nearly out of oatmeal, which leads me to making plain oatmeal from quick oats and adding a little milk and sugar on my own.
I love making my own because they are cost-effective, I can also reduce the sugar, and I can customize the packets with whatever I have on hand.
DIY Instant Oatmeal Packet Ingredients
The ingredients are simple: quick oats, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and powdered milk. If you follow this recipe, you’ll be able to make up to 20 to 24 packets of instant oatmeal. That’s over twice the amount that comes in a single box you’ll get at the store.
How to Make Instant Oatmeal Packets
Grab a pack of snack-size plastic bags, your ingredients, and let’s make these DIY Instant Oatmeal packets.
- To a large bowl, add 6 cups of quick oats.
- Place the remaining 4 cups of oats into a blender. Blend until almost powdery, then pour into the large bowl.
- To the oats, add the salt, brown sugar, powdered milk, and cinnamon, optional. Stir to combine.
- Measure ½ cup of the oatmeal mixture into each snack-size plastic bag and seal.
How easy is that?! If you need this recipe to be dairy-free omit the powdered milk and carry on. It adds a creamy flavor but isn’t necessary for a delicious bowl of hot oatmeal.
Instant Oatmeal Recipes
Making your own DIY Oatmeal Packets already takes breakfast up to another level, but here are a few more ways to improve instant oatmeal to make it even more delicious!
- Dried berries
- Dried, chopped apples
- Chopped walnuts
- Slivered almonds
- Shredded coconut
- Mini chocolate chips
Add your choice of mix-ins, about a tablespoon of each, directly to the mini plastic bag of oats. That way, you get a variety of flavors from one batch of instant oats, with no need to buy separate boxes for different flavors.
I usually add mini chocolate chips or dinosaur sprinkles to it, and the kids like it just the same! You’ll never need to go back to boxed instant oatmeal again once you realize how easy it is to make your own! Storage tip: when making these DIY Instant Oatmeal packets, I put most of them back inside my larger quick oats canister for storage, but any container will work.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets
For the Instant Oats Packets:
- 10 cups instant oats
- 1 cup powdered milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon , optional
- 1 cup hot water
- To a large bowl, add 6 cups of oats.
- In a blender, place the remaining 4 cups and blend until powdery.
- Add the blended oats to the bowl along with the powdered milk, sugar, salt, and cinnamon, if using. Stir to combine and divide ½ cup of the oatmeal mixture between 20 to 24 snack-size plastic bags.
- Store in the pantry for up to 2 months.
- Pour a packet of oats into a bowl and 1 cup hot water. Stir to combine and microwave on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir and enjoy.