Instant oatmeal is one of those breakfast household staples. Those little packets, usually 10 to a box, are very convenient for rushed mornings.
I love making my own because they are cost effective, I can reduce the sugar, and I can customize to whatever I have on hand.
If you have kids (especially big ones) who love instant oatmeal, you know they can go through two or three packets on one sitting! By Thursday, I am nearly out of oatmeal. This leads to making plain oatmeal from quick oats and adding a little milk and sugar on my own.
When Laura, the Chief MOM, gave me her oatmeal packets recipe, I realized that I should have made my own all along!
The ingredients are simple: quick oats, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and powdered milk. If you follow our recipe, you’ll be able to make up to 24 packets of instant oatmeal. That’s over twice the amount that comes in a single box!
My daughter and I made them together, and I can say she really loved helping me make these. Nothing beats mother/daughter time! She loves oatmeal and was shocked to see how many packets we made in so little time!
The best part is that we can add whatever she wants to it. I don’t need to buy separate boxes for different flavors! I can add my own mini chocolate chips or dinosaur sprinkles to it, and she likes it just the same! You’ll never need to go back to boxed instant oatmeal again once you realize how easy it is to make your own!
When making these DIY Instant Oatmeal packets, I put most of them back inside my quick oats container for storage, but any container will work.
DIY Instant Oatmeal Packets
- Category: Breakfast
- 10 cups quick oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1 1/2 cups brown sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 21-24 snack-size zip bags
- Put 6 cups of the oats into a large bowl.
- Place the remaining 4 cups of oats into a blender. Blend until almost powdery, then pour into the large bowl.
- Add the salt, brown sugar, powdered milk, and cinnamon into the large bowl.
- Mix well until everything is combined.
- Measure 1/2 cup of the oatmeal mixture into each snack-size plastic baggie and seal.
To use DIY Instant Oatmeal Packets:
- Pour the packet into a bowl, and add the desired hot water. Stir and serve.
Because the plastic bag doesn’t get wet or dirty, you can reuse it.