The perfect snack or party appetizer, these baked cheese straws are just the thing to serve!
Whether it’s for a school lunch or for dinner, you’ve GOT to try these Easy Baked Cheese Twists! They are perfect to send off in a lunchbox along with a warm bowl of soup or, paired with some protein and fresh veggies.
What are Cheese Straws?
Made with fresh cheese and puff pastry, homemade cheese straws are an amazing snack or appetizer recipe.
Even though the name implies they might be drinkable, cheese straws are more of a long, thin, cheesy cracker! They take the shape of a straw, but you can’t drink through them.
Can you freeze cheese straws?
Absolutely! To freeze your cheese twists, prep them using the recipe below, but don’t bake them. Put them on a cookie sheet, cover and freeze for around 4 hours (until firm).
After the straws have firmed you can place them in a freezer-safe bag or container and put the whole thing in the freezer. When you’re ready to finish them, pull them out of the freezer and bake.
How to Make Cheese Straws
Step 1: Let puff pastry thaw until softened – around 30 minutes
Step 2: Preheat oven to 400 & line your baking sheet with parchment paper
Step 3: Combine egg and water in a small bowl and whisk. In another bowl, mix together the cheeses
Step 4: Unfold the puff pastry onto a floured workspace. Use a pastry brush to brush some of the egg and water evenly over the dough.
Step 5: Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture over half of the dough.
Step 6: Fold the dough over the cheesy half and press to seal
Step 7: Brush the top of the dough with egg mixture and sprinkle with half of the remaining cheese, pressing gently to help the cheese stick
Step 8: Turn the dough over and repeat
Step 9: Cut pastry lengthwise into 4 even strips
Step 10: Hold strips by each end and turn until each strip turns into a nice cheese twist straw
Step 11: Place cheese straws on a baking sheet, and bake until brown (about 10 minutes)
What to Serve with Cheese Twists
Now and then, these Baked Cheese Twists are a nice surprise to serve for snack or in a lunchbox. I’ve even put them on the table for an appetizer from time to time.
These twists go great with marinara sauce or soups, which I’ll make for dinner one night, and use the leftovers for lunch in a thermos, the next day!
I mean who doesn’t love a hot lunch of twisted cheesy, flaky pastry baked to perfection and dunked in hot thermos soup for lunch? This is one recipe your family will request again and again!
Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve with Cheese Straws
Check out our top 5 Thermos Containers if you are looking for a container to send some hot soup along with these baked cheese twists.
What will you serve with your Cheese Straws first?
These Easy Baked Cheese Straws are made with flaky puff pastry folded and twisted with cheese and baked to perfection! Serve with soup or as a fun, cheese twist appetizer.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 24 minutes
- Yield: 6 twists 1x
- Cuisine: Lunch
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, such as Parmesan, Romano, and Asiago
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Let the frozen puff pastry thaw at room temperature until softened, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl or cup. Add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) water, and whisk until blended. In another small bowl, mix together the cheeses.
- Unfold the thawed puff pastry sheet and place on a lightly floured work surface. Using a pastry brush, brush some of the egg mixture evenly over the dough. Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture evenly over half of the egg-brushed dough.
- Fold the uncovered dough over the cheese and press gently to seal. Brush the top with the egg mixture, sprinkle with half of the remaining cheese mixture, and press gently to help stick. Turn the dough over, brush the other side with the egg mixture, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and press gently. Discard any remaining egg mixture.
- Cut the pastry lengthwise into 4 equal strips. Holding each strip by the ends, turn the ends a few times in opposite direction to make a twist. Place the twists, evenly spaced, on the baking sheet.
- Bake until browned, about 10 minutes. Let cool briefly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1 twist
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Sodium: 260.3g
- Fat: 18.8g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4g
- Carbohydrates: 19.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 9.4g
- Cholesterol: 38.5mg