These Easy Black Bean Veggie Burgers are the perfect meatless recipe you can prep ahead and eat today!
You’ve got to love an easy-to-make veggie burger recipe. The name says it all: easy and beans.
If you have beans in your pantry; black, white, kidney, even chickpeas, you can make this recipe. All in a single bowl. Don’t believe me? Check out how they’re made in this video.
As you saw in the video, it’s the pantry staples, beans, plus some added fresh ingredients for flavor and crunch. The recipe does call for some breadcrumbs (although, I’ve often left them out) or oats.
Keeping black beans on hand, in our pantries, can be a lifesaver when you want an easy meal that’s not only affordable but also delicious and meatless.
This can also become an eggless veggie burger recipe with the use of a flax-egg, which is found in the directions below, making these burgers vegetarian and allergy-friendly!
Vegetarian or not, these burgers and most of the recipes found in our Vegetarian Meal Plan will have even the most dedicated carnivores asking for seconds! And, if there’s one thing we can all agree on, is that we need more veggies in our lives.
Not only are these delish, but they also require no outdoor grill! I like to cook these on the stove top, so the burger gets that nice, crispy outer texture with a hearty center you can sink your teeth into.
The recipe yields six patties, so if you have any leftover, emphasis on the if, you can freeze the extra veggie burgers and reheat later for an easy dinner or lunch!
I freeze these before cooking on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and then transfer them to a zip bag.
Or you can freeze the veggie burgers fully cooked, once they’ve cooled down, and heat them up in the microwave for a heat-and-eat meal solution.
My family loves them served classic burger style, buns, lettuce, tomato, and cheese. I love dressing these burgers with Pepper Jack cheese, avocado, and salsa!
How do you like to eat your burgers?
Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- Yield: 6 patties 1x
- Cuisine: Dinner
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed & drained (2 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, or oats
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped (1/4 cup red onion)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 egg, or 1 flax egg, (see the note)
- In a large mixing bowl, gently mash the black beans. Add garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and cilantro, mix to combine.
- To the black beans, add peppers, bread crumbs, onion, carrot, and egg. Mix to combine.
- With your hands, form six patties.
- In a large greased pan, pan-fry the patties over medium heat. Flip after 5 minutes, and grill or cook for an additional 5 minutes on the other side.
- Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomato, and pickles. Alternatively, serve over a bed of lettuce as a salad.
Flax egg: 1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons warm water. Mix and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 patty
- Calories: 140
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Protein: 8.4g