Learn how to make the best potato smashers with fluffy centers and delicious, crispy skins with this simple recipe!
If your family loves mashed, roasted, and baked potatoes for easy dinner sides, these potato smashers are a must.
The oven transforms ordinary potatoes into an out-of-this-world texture! If you can boil potatoes, smash things, and sprinkle some seasonings, you’re going to love this recipe!
What are Smashed Potatoes
Potato smashers are just like they sound, steamed potatoes ‘smashed’ into a round disc and baked until the center is fluffy and the edges are golden and crisp.
They’re incredibly delicious, and you get golden-crisp potato skin in each bite. And just like roasted potatoes, you can season these with any of your favorite seasonings blends, and once they’re baked, top them how you like!
Best Potatoes for Smashing
You’ll want to use smaller potatoes to make potato smashers, about the size of a golf ball. Baby red and golden potatoes are perfect in size, and the skins tend to have more flavor. You could also use fingerling potatoes, which aren’t perfectly round but still easily ‘smashable.’
Can You Peel the Potatoes
While you are free to peel the potatoes, they would lose some of their flavor and crispy skin appeal. I recommend leaving the skin on and just making sure to get them a good wash before steaming and baking.
How to Make Potato Smashers
Grab a large sheet pan, that bag of potatoes, and let’s make these deliciously addictive potato smashers.
Add the potatoes to a large pot filled with water. Cook for 20 minutes or until you can easily stick a potato with a fork. Drain the potatoes and let them dry.
Cover a flat surface with a clean dish towel. Place the potatoes onto a clean dishtowel or a cutting board and use the back of a spoon or spatula to smash (flatten) each one so the skin splits and the potato remains intact.
Crispy tip: allow the smashed potatoes to ‘dry’ for a minute or two before roasting by letting them release some of the steam.
- Preheat the oven to 450F
Grease a large baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray. Place the smashed potatoes onto the baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Brush the oil over each potato, so the skin gets evenly coated.
- Bake to perfection
Bake the potatoes for 35 minutes, flipping halfway through until the skins are browned. Remove them from the oven and season with salt.
Want to see them come together? Watch this short video to see them from start to finish!
Can you add seasonings?
I like to keep this recipe basic and add toppings, but you can sprinkle any of your favorite seasonings onto the potato smashers. Taco seasonings, Italian seasoning, dried herbs- you get the idea.
These potatoes smashers would make an incredible side dish with one of our dinner recipes from the Momables Meal Plan. They are made with simple and fresh ingredients and the oven does all the work while you assemble the rest of the meal.
Topping Ideas for Smashed Potatoes
Grab your favorite baked potato toppings and serve them on top these smashed potatoes. You’ll find some tasty ingredients and sauce options to serve them with for dinner or as a party appetizer.
- cooked and chopped bacon
- chopped chives or green onions
- chopped fresh herbs
- red pepper flakes (for a little heat)
- sour cream
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Greek Hummus
- Homemade Velveeta
Potato Smasher Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs baby red baby golden, or fingerling potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes or until you can easily pierce a potato with a fork, but not so long that the potato falls apart.
- Place the potatoes onto a clean dishtowel or a cutting board and use the back of a spoon or spatula to smash (flatten) each one so the skin splits and the potato remains intact.
- Preheat the oven to 450F and lightly grease the baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Place the smashed potatoes onto the sheet and drizzle them with the remaining oil. Use a brush to spread the oil over the potato skins.
- Roast for 35 minutes, flipping the potatoes halfway through until both sides are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and season with salt. Serve with your choice of toppings or sauce.