Need a fun, gluten-free breakfast idea? These apple donut rings will be a huge hit!
Haven’t given breakfast much thought? Thanks to MOMables, your school lunches are made easy and packed healthy because you get this amazing weekly meal plan, right? So now let’s refocus and think breakfast for a couple of minutes.
Apples are a fall favorite. Pick, bake, and enjoy the yummy smell of cinnamon and spices filling your household with warmth and deliciousness. This morning treat has the added nutrition of ground flax, making these gluten-free donuts a simple starter to your school– and workday.
MOM Recipe Tip: These donuts can be made dairy-free by subbing the butter for a vegan alternative spread and egg-free by using your preferred replacer.
Gluten-Free Apple Ring Donuts
- Yield: 10 1x
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large apples, cored and peeled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a donut pan liberally with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the following dry ingredients: flour, flax, xanthan gum (if using), baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the egg, butter, sugar, and vanilla until creamy.
- On a cutting board, slice the apples into rings no more than 1/2 inch thick.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix. Add the applesauce, and mix again to form the batter.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon the batter into the bottom of the donut pan, just enough to lightly cover the bottom.
- Add an apple ring and press lightly into the batter. Top with another teaspoon of batter, lightly covering the exposed ring. Repeat, filling all the cavities.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.